CREATE YOUR OWN FALL FITNESS CHALLENGE
Shelly Southwick, Certified Personal Trainer
Is it September already? Guess it’s time to put up Halloween decorations, start holiday shopping, and wait for New Year’s Eve to make a resolution that may only last a few months. NOT! We all want to be feeling and looking amazing BEFORE the holiday parties, right?
With the cool, crisp smell in the air and a busy summer settling down, September is a good time to re-establish routines and start creating good habits that will not only help you achieve your goals but keep them for a lifetime.Goals and habits go together like peanut butter and chocolate. Well, maybe that’s not a good scenario. Like wine and cheese. Dang! Let’s say they are like two sides of the success coin. LOL! Good goals provide a sense of direction, and effective habits provide the mental discipline to achieve those goals. One without the other often leads to frustration and failure. Fortunately, there are several techniques we can use to improve goal-setting skills and form lasting good habits.
Here are some things to keep in mind to help achieve healthy habits and goals:
- Choose just one new habit and goal
- Make a step-by-step plan on how to incorporate them into your daily schedule
- Start with small, realistic changes
- Track your progress
- Have an accountability buddy to work out with
- To keep things interesting, mix things up. Maybe a new type of workout or a new food plan?
- Never miss 2–3 days in a row
- Be mindful and reconnect every day to the reasons why you started this challenge
- Surround yourself with like-minded people to make your habits and goals easier to attain
- Hire a Personal Trainer or Wellness Coach
Happy fall to all!