LC Arisman, Certified Health Navigator & Personal Trainer
The holidays are here again! A time of reflection, celebration, sweets, drinks, and parties… also a time that can derail our wellness journey if we fly into it without a plan. Holidays happen, and with a few healthy hacks, you can sail through the celebrations with a strategy so you can greet 2019 with your head held high.
Here are some handy holiday health tricks:
- Perspective: It’s easy to get caught up in all the to-dos around the holidays, and lose sight of what is really important. The holidays are about spending time with people that we love, taking care of each other, and spreading a bit of cheer. A gesture needn’t be grand in order to be thoughtful.
- Cocktail make-under, clear & simple: Festive beverages can be quite fun but more often than not they are loaded with extra sugars, dyes, and unnecessary unpronouncables. If you’re going to imbibe, stick to a simple gin and tonic, vodka soda, or a martini to trim the excess.
- Keep your hands full: If you want to avoid mindless noshing, keep your hands full so you need to set your beverage down to select your snack. Keep a glass of water in your hand, or carry a clutch purse.
- Hydrate! Start and end your day with a glass of water, and for every alcoholic or caffeinated beverage, be sure to have a glass of water.
- Take a time out. Check in with yourself and take a few deep breaths. This can be done when you’re standing in a long check-out line, after you park your car, or before you leave a shopping center.
- Set up for success: Showing up hungry is never a good idea. It can amplify the effects of alcohol and lead to overindulgence at both the buffet and the bar. Skipping meals during the day in anticipation of a big dinner party will backfire in a big way. Focus on having a healthy breakfast, a plant-based lunch, and lots of water.
- Enjoy your favorites: By all means, indulge and enjoy, but make sure you’re spending your indulgences on foods you love rather than foods that just happen to be there. Ask yourself, “Would I go out of my way to get this?” If the answer is yes, savor that treat! If the answer is no, skip it and save your treat for something you truly love.
- Keep it moving: Rock around the Christmas tree! Walk the neighborhood to see the lights, walk laps around the boarding area rather than sitting (because you know you’ll be sitting on the plane). Movement helps keep your metabolism activated and promotes a healthy insulin response.
Holidays can be stressful. Take time out for yourself, even if it’s just a micro-break of closing your eyes, shaking out your shoulders, and taking a few deep breaths. Take a class or hit the fitness floor, use the steam room and hot tub, or simply have a cup of tea! With a little bit of preparation, you can sail through the holidays with a smile on your face, a song in your heart, and head into 2019 feeling festive and strong.
Weight Watchers® Beyond the Scale program delivers our most holistic and personal approach ever. Move beyond the number on the scale, so you can get healthier, live happier, and lose weight: All available right here at Parkpoint! No need to find a location…we have a weekly meeting right here on-site at Parkpoint Sonoma. Come check it out Thursdays at 7am on the second floor.